Tatyana Sorina and her husband Egor pave their own tracks to success. Consider this: no top female athlete in history of this sport had a child, then ascended to the top flight of international skiing within months. No one ever tried to raise a child literally in a training camp: this year alone a little Sofia did about ten of them already.Egor Sorin is widely considered to be a rising star among the international trainers – he’s open, emotional, speaks very good English and generally media savvy. Tatyana grants interviews fairly rarely so we used our chance when our paths crossed in Ramsau:
– You are a unique top flight skier in many aspects. One of them is that you and your husband decided to have your daughter along on all of your many training camps, sort of raise her on the go from Day One. Sofia is almost 20 months old now. What advise would you give to all the female skiers who are carefully observe your experience
– Besf advice I could give is to listen to your heart, to yourself. For some our way of doing things would work, for the others absolutely not.
I feel both more at ease and more motivated when I see Sofia every day. It’s a huge inspiration, boost to see her after a hard training day – I certainly would be more concerned, nervous were she not around.
Then again, don’t let anybody shame you into repeating what we are doing – if the child affects your concentration, maybe best to be honest with yourself and have someone else take care of him or her – grandparents would be prime candidates.
Organisationally, logistically it’s tough. Egor takes care of it all, such a good husband he is! Would it be doable without husband-coach? Not something every woman could handle, for sure. Only if husband is both willing to be a prime caretaker and either doesn’t need to work or can work remotely. So, doable- but tough!
- Arne Idland: athletes from 13 nations will compete at Blink Skifestival this year
- Ustiugov deserves Olympic medal more than anybody else in cross-country skiing – as a compensation for the 2018 Olympics that never happened in his career – Markus Cramer
- Meet Dinigeer Yilamujiang, future star of xcskiing. She lit the flame of the Olympics today – and she will light up your hearts with her track performances very, very soon.
- Beijing Olympics ski tracks – what are they like? Tough with a capital T , says the man in the know
- Max Volkov: no other team in the world has as much high-tech equipment to improve quality of the training process as we do in Team China