Irineu Esteve Altimiras won the Sportful Grand Prix race on weekend.
And not just won: the list of competitors he managed to beat on 9.5k uphill distance reads like ” who is who in men’s skiing elite 2019″ ( sans Norwegians, admittedly – they rarely run continental races in general)
A 23 year old Andorran has decisively beaten such names as Alex Bolshunov, Francesco Di Fabiani, Denis Spitsov, Alexey Chervotkin to name but a few.
It’s just a rollerski training exercise, no big deal, many would say. True, perhaps. When Ireneu came third at 15k F at U23 in Soldier Hollow , right behind – guess who? Bolshunov, Chervotkin and Spitsov – many also called it a fluke and not a big deal.
” We don’t have enough space in Andorra for flats – it’s all about long uphills and sharp downhills where I train” Ireneu once told Dailyskier.com
With 1.80 in height but with a weight under 65kg Altimiras is an ideally built uphill skating racer. We reckon he will deliver many a surprise to established elite in the upcoming season.
Besides, it’s always cool to cheer for underdog – although we are not sure he by now could be seen as one
- Bolshunov will need at least 10 days to fully recover due to dental problems
- Vyalbe reacts to news Bjørgen was suspected in doping
- Tarjei Bø went to healer when he felt that doctors couldn’t cure him
- Zakopane cancels on junior skiers again, JWSC-2022 is looking for new home
- X Games come to rollerskiing