Ola Vigen Hattestad is a surprise late addition to the Team Norway coaching staff who’s appointment was announced on Wednesday.
Just a few months ago Hattestad sounded very content at his job with Team Slovenia. There he was coaching among the others, his wife Katja Višnar as well as Janez Lampic, Anamarija Lampic’s younger brother and Eva Urevc, who is returning to competitive skiing in the upcoming season, . Katja won the surprising silver medal at the World Championships last year (together with Anamarija in team sprint) while Eva and Janez are considered to be huge talents.
But when Team Norway calls – it’s hard to say no.
At his new job Hattestad will work together (or under? It wasn’t not clear immediately) with Ole Morten Iversen. Unlike men’s team, female Norwegian squad does not have separate Sprint and Distance groups.
A 38 year old Olympic and ex-world champion in sprint is known to lead by example as a coach, spending a lot of time on the tracks himself, demonstrating a fantastic form in process. Would be interesting to see whether he retains the habit while working with Johaug, Oestberg & Co.
- Beijing Olympics ski tracks – what are they like? Tough with a capital T , says the man in the know
- Davos where top talent congregate this week
- Russians And Italians Train Under German Coach In Estonia
- Natalia Nepryaeva: I Don’t Do Screaming, Shouting Or Public Breaking Of Poles
- Markus Cramer: It’s Time For Change At FIS , Especially Way It Handles International Competitions