Rain or sunshine, one FIS World Cup stage normally guaranteed proper funding is the one in Lillehammer, on a legendary Birkebeineren Ski Stadium. It’s not for nothing exceedingly rare skiathlon competitions are held there – what’s overwhelming expense/ effort for other venues is nothing out of ordinary for the Norwegian hosts.
Therefore in these times of financial crisis and uncertainty Lillehammer was a sure bet to hold its races in December.
Alas, that was until Norway’s Minister of Justice Monica Mæland have announced the governorment’s decision this week: foreigners’ entry ban to the country until January 1- nd no exception to athletes.
Which means FIS now has to find a new host to arrange the competitions on December 5-6, 2020.
It looks like Prémanon and Nove Mesto that were supposed to host World Cup races next year also look iffy – we shall probably find out more later this week.
- C8 fluoro waxes would be legal in Beijing – unlike in Europe. But there is no point in using them, says leading coach on the ground in China
- Planica gets cancelled too. Time to talk changes?
- Les Rousses World Cup stage cancelled – organisers admit it could have been held, but …too much trouble. And who are we to blame them?
- Rumor Mill: Fischer Speedmax Helium
- IOC recommends ignoring testosterone levels in female athletes. It is relevant- xcskiers often have very high ones